Latest News

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Mamma Mia! I think I just discovered who Sophia's REAL dad is...

Photo: The Playlist

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD. Don't read if you haven't watched Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again yet.


After having watched Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, I couldn't help but feel very emotional; mostly because the movie missed one important character. But I do believe the cast, particularly Lily James, did an amazing portrayal of Meryl Streep's (Donna) character.

Pushing my feelings aside, I couldn't help but think more about the movie and how Donna was able to get such an amazing farmhouse for free. Yes, it was given to her by Sofia (portrayed by Maria Vacratsis), the owner of the bar who she worked for. But really, you don't give out property to someone you just met a few days ago. There must be something; a good reason for her doing so.



Then it hit me.

I now know who the real dad of Sophia (Amanda Seyfried) is.

Or at least a crazy theory. But, there are some clues that point to this:

Photo: Daily Mail | Universal Pictures
In the first movie, Mamma Mia!, it was never revealed who Sophia's real father was.



There's this whole dialogue in the first movie between Sophia and Bill (Stellan Skarsgård) on why she was named that way. It goes: 
Bill: “I thought you looked familiar. Uh, Sophia?”
Sophie: “It’s Sophie.”
Bill: “Well, Sophia is the Greek.”
Sophie: “Well, I’m named after a Sophia.”
Bill: “I used to have a great aunt living on the mainland, named Sophia.”
More is revealed later in a conversation between the two of them at Sophie’s bachelorette party.
Bill: “How on Earth did Donna get money to buy this place?”
Sophie: “She was left some money by the old lady she looked after when I was little, Sophia, that I’m named after.”
Bill: “My Great Aunt Sophia?”
Sophie: “I guess.”
Bill: “I always heard her money was left to family.”

In the first film, it was hinted that Bill was the real father of Sophia (Read: Jazzy0799). But after watching the second movie, the clues point to another man in the picture.

sophia-bill-talk

There are more clues... I promise.

During the whole flashback scene where Sophia was about to have her child baptized, the younger Donna can be seen waving goodbye to her friends, Rosie (Julie Walters) and Tanya (Christine Baranski).

Photo: ABC

In that scene, Sophia talks about how she admired her mom for being strong despite being alone in her pregnancy. She talks about how no one knew her condition, hinting that her friends have long left the island until she was able to confirm her pregnancy. That could mean she entered into a relationship with... Lazaros (Panos Mouzourakis) after Bill left her for his philandering, playboy phase.

Panos Mouzourakis mamma mia
Photo: Hit-Channel
Yes, Lazaros-- the son of Sofia, the owner of the bar and farmhouse, who gave the property to Donna and supposedly "left her money to the family." Oh and yes, she was the one who helped Donna give birth.

sofia
Photo: IMDB
But why lie the entire time about who Sophia's real dad was? Why did Donna have to point to her three ex-lovers and not include Lazaros?

My guess was because Donna was never in love with Lazaros and that they were estranged long before Sophia started getting curious and asking who her father was. Donna never included that part in her diary so when Sophia started snooping around, she only saw the three names: Bill, Sam (Pierce Brosnan), and Harry (Colin Firth).

sophia-reading-donna-diary-mamma-mia

Her friends also weren't in on this secret and only knew about Donna's spur-of-the-moment romances with the three.

mamma-mia-donna-friends

Plus, Donna never thought Sophia would meet any of the three. She only kept her diary to look back to her younger, carefree life with the three men she loved.
sophia-dads-mamma-mia

OR I could be wrong and Bill is the real, biological father of Sophia. But Sam is the love of Donna's life.

What do you think? Do you agree with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment